Monday, February 9, 2009

Programming the Keyboard

Technology is no excuse for bad grammar. There's a FaceBook group out there with a name something like, "I Judge You Based on Your Grammar" or something like that. I appreciate the reminder that good impressions are earned.

Writing in Spanish on an English-based computer is no excuse to leave off accent marks. It's easy to update your computer to allow other languages' keyboard settings. Go to Control Panel, then Regional and Language Settings. You can add other keyboards here.

I always update Microsoft Word so that my favorite keystrokes create the right "symbols" for spelling words in the languages I use. For Spanish, I go into Word and re-set the shortcut keys in Insert : Symbol : Shortcut Key. When I sit down in a computer lab, I automatically set these shortcuts so that typing in Spanish will be easy. It takes less than 2 minutes to do, and the payoff is having good spelling.

My husband bought me a new HP for my birthday. It's tricky to figure out how to update these settings on a new operating system, but it's an investment in being able to put accents and tildes where they belong in the months and years of e-mails and blog entries to come. I'll let you know how I managed to get everything set up after I finish figuring it all out.

No comments: